July 09, 2009

All You Need is... Patience

Speaking of obsessions, I was completely in love with the Beatles when I was in grade 8. It wasn't cool in 1996, but the Anthologies had just been released and I was completely and hopelessly hooked. I taped them when it was on TV and proceeded to watch it over, and over. And over. And over again.

You get the idea.

My brother and sister hated it, but I couldn't stop myself. I used to run home after school to listen to one of the songs just so I'd have it in my head for soccer practice (it was Strawberry Fields, not exactly a complicated melody, but whatever). That year for Christmas I had been begging my parents to get me a Beatles book, but they told me it was sold out. When I opened my gift on Christmas morning and found the book I completely freaked out, crying and giggling so hard I could hardly speak.

It took me six months to save up for the Anthology on CD so imagine my disappointment when I went to Blockbuster and they had raised the price by a dollar. Mom wouldn't lend it to me either, so I had to scrounge up some more dimes before I could get it.

The first Beatles music I ever owned was a CD that started with, "Love Me Do". I still get goosebumps when I hear it, though the mad fixation has long paseed.

Today on the drive home it started to sink in that I'm actually going to see Paul McCartney live in concert this weekend. I'm not ashamed to admit that there are moments when I'm completely overwhelmed and have to catch my breath. I can't remember being this excited for something in a long freaking time!

What it comes down to now is worrying (me? a worrier?) about the details of the day - when should we get there? Early or just when the shuttle starts? What are the "bathroom" lines going to be like? How do I get as close as I can to the front? Do I bring a chair? Can I sneak food in? Or can I fake diabetes so they let me? Are my tickets real? What if they don't let me? I need to be close enough to at least see the guy...

I'm trying to forget about it and just enjoy myself whatever happens, because there's really no point in worrying about it. I'm bringing my camera to document the event that I'll be attending with my brother (he's recovered from the abuse I put him through).

Gah!!! I can't wait!!!

No comments: